Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day in the life

So I haven't updated my blog in well...almost a year. One reason is because we didn't have a computer, just an iPad and I absolutely hate typing on an iPad but another reason is that I am busy with my two little munchkins. Life is not necessarily slower these days but a little more controllable. Baby K is in a pretty decent routine, he (usually) naps for an hour and a half in the morning and then two hours in the afternoon which usually allows me to get some stuff down, which is good because when he is awake - nothing gets done. He was my angel baby, so quiet and content and just perfect. And while he's certainly not a bad baby now, he's just nowhere near as quiet and content. All he does is move. Constantly. Up and down. He finds one thing, destroys it and then moves on to the next. I had forgotten how crazy this stage was. How loud this stage was! Baby K is so happy until you take something away from him or you stop him from doing what he wants to be doing and then oh man, he could shatter windows! Z is three now (how did that happen!) and I find myself just loving this age. He is independent but still a little boy. He loves to read, play with lego and playmobile and loves his brother. He finally has a good vocabulary where I can understand most of what he is saying and have full conversations with him. I just love this age.
Something I've noticed lately on blogs is moms doing "A Day in My Life" which I think is kind of a fun read and shows how crazy the life of a stay at home mom can be! I apologize in advance for the lengthy posts but my days are pretty full!
So here is a day in my life:

5:45 a.m. Baby K wakes up, Hubby and I argue over whose turn it is to feed him, this time it's mine so I crawl out of bed, get a bottle ready, feed him and pray he goes back to sleep - success!
6:20 a.m. Z is up. We have a Gro Clock which turns into a sun when it's time to get up and while it works beautifully, I'm pretty sure Z sits in bed and stares at it waiting for it to turn since he always runs into our room at exactly 6:20 which is what it is currently set for, oh well, better than 5:30!
6:30 a.m. Set up the playmobile knights for Z to play with while I have my morning coffee. This has been his new obsession, we got them about two weeks ago and he plays with them every spare moment.
7:00 a.m. Breakfast for Z - toast, watermelon and yogurt. Baby K wakes up. Bum change, change him out of pajamas and downstairs we go. Baby K decides he is starving so breakfast for him as well. I get to use my new yummy pouches! Baby K refuses to let me spoon feed him which really limits me because he won't eat oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce.... I feel like breakfast is always toast for him so I bought a 6 pack of reusable pouches from yummy pouches and put some greek yogurt in it for him - success! He happily slurped out the whole thing of yogurt! He will happily eat finger foods so he had cheerios and watermelon as well.
7:30 a.m. Run a load of laundry. The whole family has been sick so clean sheets are a must! I have to take the cloth diapers out that I did the night before and put them on the drying rack...hopefully I will get the folded today but if not, well that is why I have 30 cloth diapers! I can go several days without folding them and still be okay!

8:00 a.m. Hubby is off to work, the boys love saying goodbye and waving at the window. I pour my second cup of coffee while Z is back playing with the knights and Baby K has discovered my Tupperware drawer.
8:30 a.m. Clean up breakfast dishes, make the kids beds with the spare set of sheets
9:00 a.m. Baby K goes down for a nap (I trip on the knights which are set up on the stairs - due to a baby gate, Z feels this is the safest place for his knights from K), he lets out a loud squack going down (he has skipped morning nap the last two days) making me think this is a lost cause but surprisingly enough by the time I get to the basement he is quiet!
9:15 a.m. Switch the bedding over, get Z settled in the basement with some toys while I work out for twenty minutes
9:45 a.m. Breakfast for me - Peanut Butter Banana Green Smoothie. Snack for Z (seriously this kid is a bottomless pit) - bowl of blueberries, two cookie crackers (thankfully my kid thinks that is what a cookie is) and a sippy cup of my smoothie.
 1 cup spinach, 2 cubes frozen yogurt (you could also just put in a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt but I love it when it's frozen because it just makes the smoothie a little thicker), one banana, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 cup milk

10:00 a.m. I let Z watch a cartoon while I take a shower...have to get back in because I realized I didn't shave my legs and it's going to be hot today!
10:30 a.m. Z is playing with a sticker book so I am quickly making a couple fruit/veggie blends for Baby K to eat out of his new yummy pouch! Kale, Apple, Banana is my first try - hopefully Baby K likes it! I used to buy the pouches from Baby Gourmet which are fantastic but at $1.25 (on sale!)/pouch, it's a little pricey but he loved the Kale, Apple, Banana one they had so I'm hoping to replicate it!
10:40 a.m. Baby K wakes up..I'm in the middle of steaming Kale so I quickly grab him and give him a bottle in his high chair (first time doing that and he actually managed to do it himself!) and try to finish cooking. I manage to make 6 pouches of Kale, Avocado, Banana and Apple. However, due to the fact that I had an 11 month old either attached to my leg or hip, my kitchen got a little disastrous.
11:15 a.m. Realize I told my mom I would be at her house (half hour away) before noon. Oops! Quickly pack a bag, change Baby K, and try to remember everything I would need for an afternoon out of the house. Correction, pack 2 bags!
11:35 a.m. Out the door! Only 5 minutes late.
12:00-8:00 p.m. Grandma Grandpa's house. Several hours of trying to keep the kids quiet while my niece tried to sleep, did some gardening (my parents live on an acreage so we planted a garden there), hung out with my brother and sister in law who were visiting, and lots of chasing the kids around the house. Z took a nap but Baby K didn't fall asleep until 4 so I only let him sleep an hour.
8:00 p.m. Baby K fell asleep in the car, transfer him to bed. Z wants to play knights with daddy for a bit, since he took a 2 1/2 hour nap at G&G's house, I let him.
8:30 p.m. Z to bed
8:45 p.m. Z comes downstairs and I send him back to bed and I start on the dishes. To all the mom's who empty the dishwasher first thing in the morning and keep the kitchen clean all day. Wow and Kudos. I give up all day and then tackle a giant mess in the evening. But it's kinda my quiet time. I turn on Star Trek Voyager and just do the dishes and enjoy the peace.
9:30 p.m. Put up my extra booster seat since I have an extra kid in the house tomorrow and get my coffee maker ready for tomorrow.
9:35 p.m. Watch an episode of Torchwood with the hubby and then bedtime for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment